Learn how to develop database driven web applications and content management systems that is responsive and which can be viewed on a number of devices including handheld ones such as tablet and cell phone.
As a New Media Development student you will:
- Learn how to develop new media applications for various platforms and devices.
- Develop in-depth theoretical knowledge and practically skills in the application of the following coding and scripting languages:
- XHTML 1.0 (Extensible Hypertext Markup Lanuage – for containing data)
- HTML5 (Hypertext Markup Lanuage – for containing data. Some of the new features are designed to make it easy to include and handle multimedia and graphical content on the web without having to resort to proprietary plugins and APIs.)
- CSS 2 & 3 (Cascading Style Sheets style the appearance and layout of web pages)
- CSS 3 Media Queries (For Responsive Webdesign)
- jQuery Mobile (Touch-Optimized Web Framework for Smartphones and Tablets)
- HTML Document Object Model (A model for manipulating HTML through the HTML node tree)
- MySQL (Structured Query Language using the MySQL Relational Database Management Server)
- PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor)
- Develop in-depth theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the following related areas:
- Graphical User Interface Design for desktop, mobile phone and tablet applications
- Application Development Architecture
- Practical Application Development (PHP/MySQL)
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Social Media Integration and Marketing
- HTML email design
- Content Management System Architectural Design and Development
- WAMP Server administration and management
- Cross Browser and Cross Platform compatibility testing and bug fixing
- Web security
A qualification in New Media Development is highly sought after in the industry both locally and internationally. Our graduates are employed as junior application developers with fantastic career prospects.
The knowledge and skills acquired during this course will also equip you to start your own lucrative small business developing new media applications for private clients.