This programme has been developed to meet the critically scarce skills needed in the Southern Africa’s chemical industry. This need was identified by Government and Industry to develop a competency profile for chemical process technicians. The diploma comprises a mixture of disciplinary-based courses in chemistry, physics and mathematics together with integrated disciplinary courses that combine chemistry, engineering, statistics and computer technology.
(Please note that these are the specific programme admission requirements - the university has its own minimum admission requirements
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR CURRENT GRADE 12 LEARNERS
- Admission Points Score of 34.
- Minimum NSC requirements for diploma entry must be met.
- English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa (home language or first additional language) on at least level 3 (40-49%).
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) for Mathematics.
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) for Physical Sciences.
- Applicants with an Admission Points Score between 26 and 33 will be referred to write the Access Assessment Battery before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
- An N3 Certificate with a minimum of 60% in Mathematics and Engineering Science and 50% for any other electives.
- Persons who do not meet the above criteria, but have proven expertise and competence can apply for acceptance into the programme in line with the NMMU and RPL policies.
The qualification shall extend over a minimum of three years of full-time study
For more information on subjects: NMMU