Persons achieving this qualification will be able to independently integrate mechanical engineering principles, apply these to determine appropriate ways of approaching activities and establish and use criteria to judge processes and outcomes.
Take note: After completion of the B Tech and a minimum of three years industrial experience a candidate may apply to the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) for registration as a professional engineering technologist.
(Please note that these are the specific programme admission requirements - the university has its own minimum admission requirements
- Students must have a 65% average for the National Diploma; or
- 55% average for the National Diploma with proof of registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa; or
- 60% average for the National Diploma and two years post diploma working experience.
- Other and non-South African qualifications will be considered based on SAQA reports and merit and may require the submission of curricula and learning material. These applicants may be required to complete a language proficiency module.
- Applied Strengths of Materials III
- Electrotechnology I
- Hydraulic Machines III
- Mathematics III
- Mechanical Engineering Design III
- Steam Plant III
Persons achieving this qualification will be able to integrate mechanical engineering principles independently, apply these to determine appropriate ways of approaching activities and establish and use criteria to judge processes and outcomes. This qualification is intended for engineering practitioners in industry.
The qualified person will be able to register with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) as a Professional Technologist-in-training in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
Obtaining the qualification
- Apply mechanical engineering principles to diagnose and solve engineering problems.
- Apply management principles in an engineering environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of mechanical engineering in one or more specialized fields.
- Communicate effectively in a technological environment.
- Engage in mechanical engineering design work individually and as part of a team.
The qualification shall be obtained by completing the modules prescribed by Senate.
Awarding the qualification cum laude
Unless Senate decides otherwise, the qualification shall be awarded cum laude
if candidates comply with the relevant General Rules for the Bachelor of Technology qualifications.
The qualification shall extend over a minimum period of one year. Modules are only offered in the evenings.
For more information on this course and modules, CLICK HERE