This programme provides prospective teachers with knowledge of the learning areas they will teach in the Intermediate Phase – Grades 4 to 6, as well as practical and professional training in the relevant learning programmes or methodologies.
The programme is rooted in a strong theoretical and practical base that enables successful students to critically construct their own theories of teaching and learning that emphasises the effective application of hands-on classroom competencies. During this four-year course students will be exposed to various subjects that will provide the knowledge to support the hands-on classroom competencies. Students engage with relevant teaching methodologies, related theory and apply during periods of school-based observation and a final year of compulsory teaching practice in schools.
(Please note that these are the specific programme admission requirements - the university has its own minimum admission requirements
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR CURRENT GRADE 12 LEARNERS:
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO MATRICULATED PRIOR TO 2008:
- Admission Points Score of 34.
- Minimum statutory NSC requirements for degree entry must be met.
- English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa (Home Language or First Additional Language) on at least level 3 (40– 49%).
- NSC achievement rating of at least 2 (30–39%) for Mathematics or 4 (50–59%) for Mathematical Literacy.
- Applicants with an Admission Points Score between 26 and 33 may be referred to write the Access Assessment Battery before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
- Matriculation exemption/endorsement or Senior Certificate with three HG subjects (languages count for one HG subject).
- Learners must score at least 27 points on the university’s SPS rating scale.
- Applicants who do not meet the requirements for direct admission, and who have an SPS of 18 or higher, may be referred to write the Access Assessment Battery before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
- All prospective student teachers will be selected.
- Education: Intermediate Phase
The qualification shall extend over four years of full-time study.
For more information on this course and modules, CLICK HERE