relevant institution directly for course information.
FOR ALL THE LATEST OFFERS
AND SPECIALS NOW
THE SAMA MEDICAL STUDENT BURSARIES
The SA Medication Association is offering two medical education bursaries per annum which is intended to support South African citizens who live in South Africa and attending medical school in South Africa. The bursaries will only be used to fund study in the medical field i.e. pre-graduate studies towards a MBChB or equivalent degree.
- A pre-graduate bursary in the amount of R20,000 will be offered per annum from the first to the fourth year of study and will be paid into the student’s account at the University. The bursary will be non-exclusive (i.e. if the student obtains additional bursaries, this bursary will continue).
- It is envisioned that the continuation of this bursary will be conditional upon the continued pass rate of the student, and will terminate should the student fail.
- An additional pre-graduate bursary in the amount of R20 000 will be offered to a deserving student, who is already studying towards a MBChB or equivalent degree, and has good academic records, but finds that due to financial pressures he/ she may be unable to continue his/ her studies. The bursary will be paid into the student’s account at the University. The bursary will be non-exclusive (i.e. if the student obtains additional bursaries, this bursary will continue).
- It is envisioned that the continuation of this bursary will be conditional upon the continued pass rate of the student, and will terminate should the student fail. If a suitable candidate was not found, the second bursary will also be offered to a first year student.
- A person who has been selected to receive the bursary and who subsequently takes leave from medical school will be permitted to continue receiving the bursary provided that the person continues to meet eligibility criteria and academic achievement standards. The bursary will not be paid during a period of leave of absence from school.
- Only SA citizens will qualify.
- Historically disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Copy of letter of acceptance into an approved South African medical education program. This can be conditional pending final acceptance.
- Individuals who are presently in medical school programs in South Africa who meet eligibility criteria may apply for the bursary for the period remaining in their education.
- Scholarship-holders are allowed to hold supplementary bursaries, grants or emoluments with unlimited values.
- If the applicant does receive supplementary funding during the duration of the scholarship, this will need to be declared to the SAMA Bursary Committee
Applications are assessed based on potential and academic performance: From the eligible applicants, two new students each year will be approved according to their ability to meet the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit
- Potential for excellence for those belonging to historically disadvantaged groups
- Leadership qualities
- Previous prizes and awards
- Recommendation of referees
Method of payment:
- Payment will be made directly to the medical school at the University.
- Once approved for a bursary, a medical student will be paid the full amount of the bursary in January of each year or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Payment for the second and subsequent years of study will be made only after submitting proof of successful completion of the previous year of study and proof of enrollment in the next sequential year of study.
Applications are only accepted between 1 August and 30 September each year.
Completed applications must be in English and must be received before or on 30 September of the relevant year.
Applications must include:
- Full name, address, telephone and email contact information
- Copies of documents to demonstrate South African citizenship (e.g. copy of ID or passport photograph page, birth or citizenship certificate).
- A resume outlining education and volunteer experience. Maximum length – 2 pages
- Copy of letter of acceptance to a South African medical school.
- Complete applications with copies of all required documents, must be received at the following address:
The SAMA Medical Education Bursary Committee
P O Box 74789
Email: [email protected]
Contact: 012- 481 2097
For more information on this Medical Bursary, click here