Persons achieving this qualification will be competent to apply engineering principles and solve well-defined open-ended problems in the field of electrical engineering by operating within relevant standards and codes.
Take note: After completion of the national diploma and a minimum of three years’ industrial experience a candidate may apply to the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) for registration as a professional engineering technician.
(Please note that these are the specific programme admission requirements - the university has its own minimum admission requirements
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR CURRENT GRADE 12 LEARNERS
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO MATRICULATED PRIOR TO 2008
- Admission Points Score of 34.
- Minimum NSC requirements for diploma entry must be met.
- English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa (home language or first additional language) on at least level 3 (40-49%).
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) for Mathematics.
- NSC achievement rating of at least 4 (50-59%) for Physical Sciences.
- Applicants with an Admission Points Score between 26 and 33 may be referred to write the Access Assessment Battery before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
- A 60% pass in N3 Engineering Mathematics and Engineering Science plus Grade 12 Languages.
- Testing includes Extended Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification with pass marks in Physical Science, Mathematics and English (minimum HG=E or SG=D)
- A 60% pass on N3 Engineering Maths and Engineering Science plus Grade 12 Languages.
- Learners must score at least 27 points on the university’s SPS rating scale.
- Applicants who do not meet the requirements for direct admission, and who have an SPS of 18 or higher, may be referred to write the Access Assessment Battery before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course
The qualification shall extend over at least three years of full-time study.
Careers: Electrical engineer
For more info: NMMU
Click here for more information on the Extended Programme