The library facilities are extensive at CPUT and are made more so with its very close links to the other three tertiary education institutions in the Western Cape: University of Cape Town , Stellenbosch University and University of the Western Cape.
CPUT has an electronic system that connects students with their lecturers and courses through their workstation. Their e-Learning system is an effective way for students to stay up to date with their courses and course materials.
Becoming a university of technology encompasses measuring research performance:
- the establishment of research niche areas and research units
- the number of peer-reviewed journal publications and conference papers produced by staff and postgraduate students
- the throughput and quality of postgraduate students
- income generated through scholarly grants and contract funding
- the registration of intellectual property in the form of patents
- and the recognition of the research standing of staff, both by peers and other higher education institutions