relevant institution directly for course information.
FOR ALL THE LATEST OFFERS
AND SPECIALS NOW
Duration:3 Years Full Time
Bachelor of Science in Informatics
Full-time undergraduate degree programmes are offered over a minimum period of three years.
MGI’s BSc in Informatics degree is a practical programme which is grounded in a fundamental body of computing and information technology (IT) knowledge. Students have the option of linking the knowledge they gain to either Human Resource Management or Financial Accounting as a second focus area.
The programme represents a good consensus of the IT community, as characteristics of the IT profession are present in the curriculum. A third-year industry project forms part of the final year where each student, as part of a group, is required to complete a project that will contribute to the information technology development of a non-profit organisation. In this way, students are able to master the profession before entering the working environment.
Graduates will have the freedom to choose between working for small businesses or large corporations, and will be capable of providing professional services to various types of businesses. They will be able to work as members of a team, collect, analyse, and present information, use technology or other methods of presentation for communication purposes, identify and suggest possible solutions to a problem, and organise work requirements to meet deadlines. Graduates will understand the world as a set of related systems by recognizing that problem-solving contexts do not exist in isolation.
The syllabus comprises three levels:
Students are introduced to the basic principles of information technology.
- Information Systems IA – Introduction to Information Systems
- Information Systems IB – Human Computer Interaction
- Software Development for IS IA – Introduction to
- Software Development for IS IB – Intermediate Programming
- Business Management IA
- Business Management IB
- Computer Science IB – Generic Algorithm Design
- Quantitative Techniques
- Financial Accounting IA or Human Resource Management
- Financial Accounting IB or Industrial Relations
Students develop an intermediate level of knowledge and skills in information technology.
- Information Systems IIA – Systems Analysis and Design
- Information Systems IIB – Project Management
- Management Accounting IIA Or Human Resource Management IIA
- Management Accounting IIB Or Human Resource Management IIB
- Databases IIA – Principles of Databases
- Databases IIB – Database Implementation
- Computer Science IIC – Operating Systems in Practice
- Communication Skills
MGI is a member of the Computer Society of South Africa (CSSA). CSSA membership is free for MGI students.
- Information Systems IIIA – Object-oriented Systems Analysis and Design
- Information Systems IIIB – Information Systems Strategic
- Research Methodology
- Software Development IIIB
- Internet Programming and E-Commerce
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management IIIA
- Human Resource Management IIIB
Students who successfully complete all levels of study are awarded the Midrand Graduate Institute Bachelor of Science in Informatics degree.
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Project Manager
- IT Specialist
- Junior Developer
Search for more courses