Diploma in Art Direction and Graphic Design
Duration: 3 years
Art Direction is about the knowledge and understanding of conceptual thinking and idea generation. It’s the ability to visually communicate to a specific target market whilst building brands and delivering on brand strategies.
Learn all the skills required to work on the creative
side of advertising, as an art director or designer.
At the end of this three year course you will receive a NQF level 6 Diploma
in Graphic Design
and Art Direction
The outcomes for the 3-year Red & Yellow Diploma
in Graphic Design
and Art Direction
are built around a thorough knowledge and understanding of conceptual thinking and idea generation in the area of advertising and graphic design
. You will develop the ability to communicate ideas
in a visually
pleasing manner suited for a specific target market whilst building brands
and delivering on brand strategies. Students are mentored in 3 subjects – Advertising, Graphic Design
and Digital Design.
Obtaining such a diploma will ensure the graduate can enter the fields of advertising (both traditional and online) as an art director or as a graphic designer in the areas of graphic design in a design studio, logo and brand development, packaging design, publication design, illustration, and as a web designer in front-end web development.
You will be taught the many skills that a competent art director needs, and the many considerations they have to make every day. The ability to develop ideas rooted in insights, and that are also "on brand", is a fundamental skill that you will immediately be taught, under keen mentorship.
WHAT YOU LEARN
- Conceptual thinking – The communication of innovative and original ideas based on researched insights that will get target markets to commit to an action. A clear understanding of brand specified design, ethos and strategy.
- Media channel knowledge – An understanding of channels best suited to a brand’s target market so that concepts are effective and realise their potential. The knowledge to create TV, print, online, ambient, outdoor and direct mail campaigns.
- Creative strategy – The ability to translate clear knowledge into conceptual thoughts based on marketing research underlining their chosen target market and visual approach.
- Brand design, development and integrated marketing – Establishing a new brand’s mission, strategy to its target market and conceptualisation of branding campaigns based on briefs.
- Image manipulation – The use of appropriate images to convey a message or concept. The use of illustration, collage, screen printing and photographic images to a high standard within budgetary guidelines.
- Typography – The knowledge and understanding of the relationship of letters, sentences, paragraphs and how an idea is communicated through words. The choice of font and its manipulation in order to carry a message on brand.
- Visual composition – The ability to combine words and images into a larger visual concept that resonates with a brand’s target audience. Combining the various elements of the concept into a singular coherent result that is visually stimulating and ensures action from a target market.
- Printing techniques – The effective packaging and publication of designs to be physically compelling and impactful.
- Digital ability – Competent usage of Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Web Design and Motion Graphics for use in projects.
HOW YOU LEARN
Each year, you will be given 9 projects to complete and are assessed on the results of these. You are ultimately asked to select your 8 best projects, of which 6 must be from the 3rd year, to be assessed for your final mark. These projects will be used to evaluate competence in all disciplines of Art Direction.
Your projects are compiled into a portfolio which will become your body of work and can be used to attract work and kick start a career.
Many of the briefs for your projects come from real agencies, for real brands, so as you train, you'll network with prospective employers. At the end of the course you'll have a portfolio of professional-looking work, which will showcase your talent and skills, and will help you find employment. Preparing for interviews at agencies and personal guidance are the final steps you'll take to be work-ready.
YOU AND THE COURSE
You will work hard. You'll gain a wealth of real world, practical experience. You'll be surprised at what you will accomplish. You'll need to be self-motivated and have a strong work ethic because the pace is dynamic, fluid, and urgent. If you've made the correct career choice, however, you'll enjoy and savour every day because the work environment reflects the school's philosophy that joy is attained through accomplishment. After you graduate, you'll be part of a very select, accomplished group; work-ready and eager to hit the road running.
For more info
Red & Yellow
T: + 27 21 462 -1946