relevant institution directly for course information.
FOR ALL THE LATEST OFFERS
AND SPECIALS NOW
COURSE: ADVANCED CERTIFICATE IN COUNSELLING AN...
Duration:18 months full-time / 2 Years Part Time
SACAP’s Advanced Certificate builds on an existing foundation of learning. It’s a short, 15-month, vocational qualification that has been specifically designed to further your knowledge and insight in psychology, human behaviour and mental health. Not only does the Advanced Certificate provide a strong focus on applied counselling and communication skills, for application in a variety of counselling environments, it also develops deeper knowledge in specific counselling areas of your choice.
Is this course for me?
If you say yes to any of the following points, then the Advanced Certificate could just be the perfect fit for you.
- Want an NQF accredited qualification that is nationally benchmarked and internationally comparable.
- Already have SACAP’s Higher Certificate in Counselling and Communication Skills under your belt and want to build on your learnings.
- Have an undergraduate qualification in psychology but want to gain hands-on counselling and communication skills.
- Want to develop deeper knowledge and skills in specific counselling areas, such as: addictions, grief and loss, working with children, working with adolescents and/or HIV and sexuality.
- Want to gain practical fieldwork experience, as part of your studies, to boost your expertise and confidence for a career in counselling.
What will I learn?
Throughout the Advanced Certificate, you’ll develop:
- Counselling and interpersonal communication skills, including referral and management strategies, for application in the key areas of crisis and trauma counselling, conflict management, family and relationship work.
- Skills in specific counselling areas through your choice of elective modules, such as: addictions, grief and loss, working with children, working with adolescents and/or HIV and sexuality.
- Practical fieldwork experience.
- Basic research and study skills so that you can write reports and manage records.
You’ll also gain deeper knowledge and insights into:
- Psychology, human behaviour and mental health with a strong focus on practical application.
- Ethics in psychology.
What can I do with this qualification?
You will be able to work as a SACAP Counsellor1. This means that, working with supervision, you can:
- Provide short term supportive counselling and guidance (excluding psychotherapy) in key areas, depending on the elective modules you’ve completed.
- Identify (but not diagnose or treat) possible mental health disorders and refer clients to the relevant professionals.
- Apply competency-based counselling approaches - finding strengths and resilience to facilitate mental health and wellness.
- Practice effective interpersonal communication skills in a range of supportive counselling settings and contexts with diverse individuals and groups.
1: SACAP have developed a recommended scope of practice for each of our qualifications according to SACAP’s Competency-Based Framework ©
What further study pathways are open to me?
Once you’ve successfully finished the Advanced Certificate you’ll be eligible for admission into SACAP’s Bachelor of Applied Social Science (BAppSocSci) undergraduate degree with credit transfer for the same modules already completed2.
2: subject to SACAP’s credit transfer and RPL policy
AT A GLANCE
On Campus (Johannesburg, Cape Town)
15 months full-time
2 years part-time
Modules and Credits
9 modules (at least 120 credits)
NQF 6, CHE accredited
200 hours including supervision
- A minimum of a Higher Certificate or equivalent NQF level 5 qualification in an appropriate field, OR
- For mature students (24+) not meeting the above requirement, a portfolio of evidence to support admission on the basis of SACAP’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy.
Follow us On